Top 5 Best Cordless Steam Mop Reviews 2017
Like ordinary mops, steam mops make use of steam to clean all sorts of floors. However, the fundamental difference between the steam mops and the ordinary mops is in the way they disinfect the floor. Steam mops disinfect floors using the heat produced by the steam, while the ordinary mops make use of chemical disinfectants such as cleaning agents, bleach, and detergents. Additionally, steam mops make use of microfiber pads to trap and remove dirt from the floor. The benefit of using steam and microfiber is that very little water is required in the cleaning process.
Currently, there are very many cordless steam mops in the market. Some of these mops are not necessarily of good quality, and you can easily find yourself investing in a steam mop that is not effective, is bad for your floor type, or even one that breaks down after a short time. To help you make the right choice, we have carried out a cordless steam mop review, and the following are your best choice for the year 2017.
1. Shark Light and Easy Steam Mop
- The steering can swivel, which helps with the maneuverability of the mop, especially when cleaning in rooms with lots of furniture.
- No chemicals are required to clean the floor. The mop is adequate.
- The mop is light and it’s easy to move around the house with it.
- It is very cheap compared to other mops in its category.
- It is the only thing you need to buy so there are no extra expenses for those who choose to use this mop.
- The cleaning pads can be popped into a washing machine, cleaned, and reused, so there is no need to purchase new pads often.
- It is highly effective in cleaning synthetic floors.
- It can be used on all kinds of floors including hardwood, granite and tile floors.
- You don’t need to move it around to generate the steam. A slight downward push is sufficient.
- It cannot be used to deep clean floors that are extremely dirty.
- There is little aftermarket support for buyers who need things like spare parts or repairs.
- The handle has to be pumped for water to come out, which caused a practicality problem.
- The steam can run out if the mop is used to clean a large floor area, which can be inconvenient.
- It is very lightweight, and this makes it less effective in areas of dirt where force has to be concentrated.
- Swiveling handle for maneuverable steering.
- Sanitation against bacteria and germs for up to 99.99%.
- Steam delivery within 30 seconds of switching on.
- Terry pads that are all purpose, can be machine washed and have the ability to lock in dirt.
- Handle that has a soft grip to increase the user’s comfort. The handling system is also designed to virtually eliminate physical strain.
- The pads are non-abrasive, which makes the mop safe for all kinds of smooth surface floors.
Best Suited For:
- Rooms with lots of furniture.
- Hardwood floor cleaning.
- Synthetic floor cleaning.
- Tile floor cleaning.
- Linoleum kitchen floor cleaning.
- Cleaning floors that are sensitive to chemicals.
- Cleaning underneath furniture.
2. Bissell PowerFresh Pet Steam Mop
- It is very cheap compared to most of its competitors.
- The mop is easy to assemble, and it can be put together in just a few minutes if the instructions are properly followed.
- The steam kicks in very fast and it can be used to clean a large floor area in a very short time.
- The floor drys almost instantly when after cleaning with this mop.
- The water can be refilled very fast in case it runs out while mopping.
- It can be used to clean tough areas on the floor just by leaving it to stand on that one spot for a few seconds.
- The removable water tank makes refilling easy.
- Steam is produced constantly, which eliminates the need to keep pumping.
- It can be used to clean areas where a lot of maneuvering is required.
- When it is used to deep clean the mop head gets very saturated and unable to absorb any more water, which leaves the floor very wet.
- It produces a lot of heat, and it can transfer that heat to the floor if it’s left in one spot for a long time.
- it is less effective if it is used with tap water. In some cases, it is necessary for you to get distilled water for the mop, or to at least take the time to filter tap water.
- The microfiber bunches when it is used to clean hardwood floors.
- A built-in heating system.
- Light to indicate when the heater is ready
- Has stream control feature that can be used to vary the level of steam or heat. This helps the user set different steam levels depending on how dirty the floor is, how deep they want their cleaning and the type of floor that is being cleaned.
- Microfiber pads that are reusable and can be cleaned in a washing machine.
- Scent disk insert slots for users who want their floors to smell good.
- Flip down easy scrubber on the handle.
Best Suited For:
- Cleaning hardwood floors.
- Floor sanitization.
- Cleaning sticky floors.
- Cleaning textured vinyl floors.
- Cleaning fake wood floors.
3. O-Cedar Microfiber Steam Mop
- The entire unit comes with assembly instructions which are easy to follow.
- The cleaning pads can be easily attached or removed because of the use of Velcro in the design.
- The handle swivels and is designed to make it easy to reach around hidden places such as corners, and underneath pieces of furniture.
- It comes in a single unit including the water compartment, and this reduces the hustle of having to dismantle it when water is to be added.
- The unit is silent, which makes it pleasant to use. You can clean the floor while listening to music or while conversing with people.
- It glides over carpets fairly easily. All you have to do is to remove the pads and you can use it to steam clean a rag.
- It lacks an indicator on the handle to show that the steam is on. Instead the green light indicator is on the front of the mop, which can be a bit confusing for people who are familiar with most other steam mops.
- It is only compatible with replacement mop pads from the same manufacturer, and these replacements are often difficult to come by.
- The microfiber pads tend to clog over time if tap water is used in the steam mop and when the mop is used to clean floors that are very dirty.
- The manufacturer doesn’t offer much aftermarket support for clients who have issues with the product.
- A heating system that produces steam in less than 20 seconds from the time of plugin.
- Effective cleaning technology that kills over 99.99% of bacteria and germs, hence no need of additional chemical cleaners in the water.
- A featured snap-on glider that can be used to clean rag carpets. This makes the mop one of the few that can be used on cloth and carpet floors.
- A light design to increase mobility and maneuverability of the steam cleaner.
- Steam setting adjuster that is used to change the amount of heat and steam, which makes it adaptable for different cleaning conditions and floor types.
- Triangular shaped cleaning head to help reach corners and wall edges while cleaning.
Best Suited For:
- Cleaning carpeted floors.
- Cleaning hardwood floors.
- Cleaning tile floors.
- Cleaning granite floors.
- Removing certain types of stains from carpets
4. BISSELL Symphony Pet All-in-One Vacuum and Steam Mop
- The steam mop is designed with a button which you have to hold down to get steam. This makes it better than other cordless steam mops that are on all the time, even when you don’t necessarily want steam coming out at that moment.
- There is no need to distil or to filter water, although it may still be a good idea if you want the mop to last.
- The steam button feature makes it possible to use the mop as just a vacuum cleaner, which makes it a 2 in 1 device.
- The steam adjustment knobs are right on the handle, which is very convenient.
- This steam mop is freestanding, unlike many of its rivals which have to be leaned against the wall or held at all times.
- Water reloading on this mop is very easy because of the freestanding feature and the conveniently located water hole at the back of the mop.
- The makers of the mop partnered with Swiffer to make disposable cleaning fabrics that are compatible.
- While it was designed to be both a vacuum and a mop, it is not as effective at vacuuming as some cheap vacuum cleaners.
- It is advertised as a cleaner for pet houses, but it is not so much effective in cleaning off floors or carpets in houses with pets because the fur tends to clog the mop pads.
- It has bad suction compared to some other mops.
- It has 2 in 1 cleaning capabilities as both a mop and a vacuum cleaner.
- Features a steam control button as well as a vacuum pressure button.
- Steam on and off button gives the user a choice on whether to make use of steam in certain areas of the floor that is being cleaned.
- Digital control features make it more intuitive and easy to use.
- Cleaner and vacuum emptying system eliminate the need to touch any dirt while using this mop.
Best Suited For:
- Cleaning floors in houses with pets.
- Cleaning floors with debris and fur.
- Cleaning houses with different floor types in different rooms.
5. Shark Professional Steam Pocket Mop
- It cleans very thoroughly and efficiently with very little water.
- It is very effective in removing water stains from floors.
- It heats up very fast and it can be used just a few seconds after it’s plugged in.
- The microfiber mop pad can be washed in a washing machine. It is very durable and it rarely needs replacement.
- Cleaning solutions are not at all necessary because the steam produced from the water is all that is required to clean the floor.
- The mop head can be changed, and there are several shapes of mop heads that can be fitted on the cleaner. The user has the ability to pick a mop head depending on the type of area that is to be cleaned. Rectangular heads are suited for open floor areas while triangular ones are better for corners.
- It comes with a rectangular shaped mop head, which is not convenient for cleaning in corners. The triangular mop head comes as an accessory at an additional cost.
- The cleaner can be destroyed if un-distilled water is used often.
- Its scrub feature is not as powerful as some other mops, especially when it is used on tile floors.
- It not properly maintained, it could break down in less than a year.
- Its lightness is often a disadvantage when cleaning tough floor stains because it tends to just glide over them. Users have to press hard on the handle to remove tough stains on floors.
- The mop doesn’t come with a warranty, which is a deal breaker for some buyers. However, this is common for most cordless mops in the market.
- It comes with 2 quick release mop heads, which can be switched depending on the nature of the area that is to be cleaned.
- Has a steam control knob with three different levels. An appropriate level can be selected depending on the nature of the floor or the desired level of cleaning.
- Steams superheating system that is capable of 99.9% floor sanitization.
- The mop pads have double sided cleaning feature.
Best Suited For:
- Cleaning laminated floors
- Cleaning linoleum floors
All of these five mops have been around the market for a while, and they have been tried and tested by consumers who have reviewed them positively. Purchasing a steam mop is just the fast step. In order to get good use out of your mop, you have to properly maintain it and use it according to the instructions that come with it.
Whenever you buy a mop, make sure that you receive the exact model you ordered. Some cordless steam mops from the same manufacturer tend to have similar names, and it is possible to end up with a different model than the one you actually want. Also, if you order accessories such as microfiber pads to accompany your steam mop, do your research to make sure that accessories are compatible with your mop. Otherwise, happy shopping and thanks again for reading about this review of the best cordless steam mops!